sources.list
Dirk Klotz
2009-08-13 09:49:28 UTC
Hello,

I'm running debian on my old G3 blue&white and I got some issues with
installing packages. KDE installation fails, saying the package is
missing dependencies. Could it be the entries in my sources.list that
cause the problem? What servers should be referenced in the sources.list?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Dirk
tortoise
2009-08-19 04:08:08 UTC
Post by Dirk Klotz
Hello,
I'm running debian on my old G3 blue&white and I got some issues with
installing packages. KDE installation fails, saying the package is
missing dependencies. Could it be the entries in my sources.list that
cause the problem? What servers should be referenced in the sources.list?
What version of Debian are you running ? If you are running testing or
unstable there may indeed be dependencies temporarily missing
especially when you first install a package it is difficult --
normally updates will get held back, but you can't get the older
version straight off.

Normally I have a backup entry in my sources.list other than the
official Debian one. OregonStateOSL works good for me (seems to be the
first pick in installer for me now too).
Sometimes the official Debian site goes off line due to Denial of
Service attacks.
OSL is 99% dependable.

Another thing -- that computer is too slow to run kde desktop. But you
can run individual KDE apps and dependencies only some libraries. On
g3 and slower G4 I have chosen to not use a desktop at all, only
Xwindow server and OpenBox window manager. Without the KDE desktop
their apps show up with the GTK window style which is very efficient.
Still the program I wanted to use, Krita was much too slow on an
550mhz G4. But another program, Scribus (which interfaces with KDE but
because it doesn't start with "K" not officially a part of it), runs
maybe 2x speed MacOSX and 1/2 the RAM, which is true with most apps
but for this one it is pretty heavy in Mac and nice with my setup. So
YMMV as they say.
Dirk
2009-08-20 06:49:48 UTC

thanks for your response. In the meantime I figured it out myself.
I'm running Lenny, latest release from the debian project site.

Regarding CPU the mac has a G4-upgrade processor inside, so speed is
still ok. I use this machine as a small server only and for testing
purposes, so it's no problem. :o)

tc
Dirk