Problems installing Linux on IBM RS/6000 44P-170
Benjamin Gawert
2008-03-10 18:36:47 UTC
I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM,
GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the
latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It
seems to boot the kernel, however, at one point it shows:

Calling quiesce
returning from prom_init

and just sits there. I did some research and found out that the GXT4000P
gfx adapter probably isn't supported by Linux at all and might cause
this error. But then I also found postings that say it should at least
boot. BTW: AIX runs fine, and the hardware test CD didn't find any
hardware problem. Microcode is on the latest level, too.

Anyone has a clue what causes this problem? And if it's the gfx adapter:
what is a good and somewhat easy obtainable replacement that provides
accelerated 2D and if possible also accelerated 3D?

Benjamin
Thomas Trepl
2008-04-08 18:59:25 UTC
Hi Benjamin,
Post by Benjamin Gawert
I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM,
GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the
latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It
Calling quiesce
returning from prom_init
and just sits there. I did some research and found out that the GXT4000P
gfx adapter probably isn't supported by Linux at all and might cause
this error. But then I also found postings that say it should at least
boot. BTW: AIX runs fine, and the hardware test CD didn't find any
hardware problem. Microcode is on the latest level, too.
what is a good and somewhat easy obtainable replacement that provides
accelerated 2D and if possible also accelerated 3D?
Benjamin
I have quite the same problem with a 43P-150. I "solved" that by completely
removing the VGA card and using the serial console for booting. It's not
quite easy to navigate in Yast over serial line but i came far enough to
install my LFS (-->linux from scratch). I now use that (headless) machine
as internet gateway.
I heard that a GXT200 should work as it is Matrox compatible. I dont know
whether this is right nor do i have such a card.

--
Thomas