Message Queues (2.4 vs. 2.6)
Bill
2008-05-17 01:38:10 UTC
I am seeing a dramatic difference between 2.4.26 and 2.6.10 in how
fast messages are transferred to a log file using a message queue,
i.e., using msgsnd & msgrcv. On 2.4.26, the messages appear in the
log file in at most a few seconds. On 2.6.10, it may take 20 to 30
seconds before the messages appear in the log file. Since the log
file is there primarily to help debug crashes, very little useful
information is there with this large delay. I am using a powerpc
processor.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior in 2.4 vs. 2.6 and are
there any suggestions on how to fix it?
Mel
2008-05-17 11:11:05 UTC
Post by Bill
I am seeing a dramatic difference between 2.4.26 and 2.6.10 in how
fast messages are transferred to a log file using a message queue,
i.e., using msgsnd & msgrcv. On 2.4.26, the messages appear in the
log file in at most a few seconds. On 2.6.10, it may take 20 to 30
seconds before the messages appear in the log file. Since the log
file is there primarily to help debug crashes, very little useful
information is there with this large delay. I am using a powerpc
processor.
Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior in 2.4 vs. 2.6 and are
there any suggestions on how to fix it?
I can't believe that it's intrinsic to 2.6 . We're using an up-to-date
Debian 4 release, and getting response times in very small fractions of a
second using msgsnd/msgrcv. It's a music playing app, and even a delay
like 1/4 second would be intolerable. We've paid no great attention to
setting up the message queue -- just used nice to give priority to our
critical processes.

Mel.