ARAnyM Running on PowerPC
Francois LE COAT
2008-11-10 14:21:56 UTC

ARAnyM <http://aranym.org/> == ATARI Running on Any Machine, the
GNU / GPL ATARI Virtual Machine runs on PlayStation 3. It can be
launched on PS3 hosted with PPC-Linux with the *miniPack* at

<http://eureka.atari.org/miniPack.zip>

Because it runs with PPC-Linux on PlayStation 3, it should also run
on any PowerPC machine. But I only built and tested it on my own
80Gb / WiFi / HD-Ready 720p PS3, with Gentoo / Linux.

Can somebody confirm me that the *miniPack* also works on other
PPC machines apart from PS3 ? It should run on Macintosh machines
hosted with PPC-Linux for instance, with various distributions ?

Thanks to help me testing the *miniPack* on a PowerPC machine you
may own, and report it. You'll have to launch `run_ppc.sh` and tell
me if an ATARI / GEM desktop appears like in

Thanks for PowerPC (PPC64) Gentoo / Linux developpers and ARAnyM Team :)
--
François LE COAT
Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
<http://fon.gs/eureka/>
Archimedes' Lever
2009-01-04 19:28:19 UTC
Post by Francois LE COAT
Hi,
ARAnyM <http://aranym.org/> == ATARI Running on Any Machine, the
GNU / GPL ATARI Virtual Machine runs on PlayStation 3. It can be
launched on PS3 hosted with PPC-Linux with the *miniPack* at
<http://eureka.atari.org/miniPack.zip>
Because it runs with PPC-Linux on PlayStation 3, it should also run
on any PowerPC machine. But I only built and tested it on my own
80Gb / WiFi / HD-Ready 720p PS3, with Gentoo / Linux.
Can somebody confirm me that the *miniPack* also works on other
PPC machines apart from PS3 ? It should run on Macintosh machines
hosted with PPC-Linux for instance, with various distributions ?
Thanks to help me testing the *miniPack* on a PowerPC machine you
may own, and report it. You'll have to launch `run_ppc.sh` and tell
me if an ATARI / GEM desktop appears like in
<http://eureka.atari.org/screen_ps3.png>
Thanks for PowerPC (PPC64) Gentoo / Linux developpers and ARAnyM Team :)
That certainly does not run on a PS3 without modifications. There is
no 'etc' or 'boot' subdirectory. The 'etc' is required, and the
kboot.conf file needs to be in there, so your 'distro' is NOT 'install
ready' for PS3 either.
Francois LE COAT
2009-01-04 22:33:07 UTC
Happy New Year 2009,
Post by Archimedes' Lever
Post by Francois LE COAT
[...]
Obviously, you need either to install GNU/Linux on the PlayStation 3.

There are several PowerPC distributions or better PPC64 dedicated for
PS3 ... Fedora, Yellow Dog Linux, Suse, PSUbuntu, Gentoo/Linux etc.

<http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=ppc64&status=All>

or ...

I didn't installed GNU/Linux on my own PlayStation 3. I much prefer
using liveCDs for PS3. I choose Gentoo/Linux liveCD. You can go there

<http://www.livecdlist.com/?pick=Linux_PPC64&showonly=All>

with a USB stick drive it gives <http://eureka.atari.org/screen_ps3.png>

Here is topics about how I built *miniPack* the ARAnyM basic package on
<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-561746-highlight-ps3.html> Gentoo
<http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2578&hilit=aranym>
and Yellow Dog Linux.

You won't have a ready made distribution with the *miniPack* but you use
ARAnyM with a host Operating System, to run the ATARI Virtual Machine.

The ATARI side is ready. You have to choose and install the OS (or not).
*miniPack* supports GNU/Linux, Mac OS X with x86, PPC and PPC64 archs.

It's up to you =)

Best regards,
--
François LE COAT
<http://eureka.atari.org/>
<http://fon.gs/eureka/>
Archimedes' Lever
2009-02-06 11:24:59 UTC
Post by Francois LE COAT
Happy New Year 2009,
Post by Archimedes' Lever
Post by Francois LE COAT
[...]
They do not all run the 64 bit kernel. Those that do, do not all run in
64 bit userland.

I have 2 PS3s and I have SEVERAL distros installed on each.

I don't need any primers.

snip
Post by Francois LE COAT
or ...
I didn't installed GNU/Linux on my own PlayStation 3. I much prefer
using liveCDs for PS3. I choose Gentoo/Linux liveCD. You can go there
I don't need a primer.

SDLMame runs on a PS3 and with it over 17GB of Game ROMs are available.
Francois LE COAT
2009-02-06 12:17:30 UTC
Post by Archimedes' Lever
Post by Francois LE COAT
Post by Francois LE COAT
or ...
I didn't installed GNU/Linux on my own PlayStation 3. I much prefer
using liveCDs for PS3. I choose Gentoo/Linux liveCD. You can go there
I don't need a primer.
SDLMame runs on a PS3 and with it over 17GB of Game ROMs are available.
Sorry, I don't play that game, unfortunately.

Some other ng may be more appropriate for that ...

Such as <news://uk.games.video.playstation> for instance. I'm speaking
about porting with GNU / Linux the ATARI Virtual Machine, that is not
an emulator, and no peculiarly intended for games. Read about it at

<http://aranym.org/>

You'll better understand.

Regards,
http://fon.gs/eureka/
Archimedes' Lever
2009-02-08 23:29:57 UTC
Good thing I do not have to cater to your stupid assessments.
Francois LE COAT
2009-02-09 21:22:34 UTC
Post by Archimedes' Lever
Post by Francois LE COAT
Some other ng may be more appropriate for that ...
Good thing I do not have to cater to your stupid assessments.
Do you find bugs in Bunix ? :-D

What's the matter with you guy ?????

I'm not here playing with vintage, that's all. I can't stand it.

Do you have Breakout game running on PS3 ? That's my 1st one.
2nd do you play "Joust" natively on the PlayStation 3 ? great !
3rd do you enjoy running the ATARI Virtual Machine ? I do.

Because it floats but never sink, what happened between
-287 and -212 B.C. ? That's not the Sphinx's question, but
take care about your answers. The man that we're talking
about was murdered on a beach when he was describing circles
on the sand. You got it ? What did he say before he died ?

I bet you know history better than I do ? Show it man !

ATARIstically yours =)